Home-Sharing Ordinance

Home-Sharing Registration Criteria

Eligibility Requirement Must Answer Yes for All

Do you plan to rent out your primary residence?

To qualify, you can only engage in Home-sharing at your primary residence, in which you reside for more than 6 months of the calendar year. Proof of identification (including a Photo ID) and residence will be required to register your short-term rental. Additional detail on required documentation is provided in the Administrative Guidelines.


Do you plan to rent out a room in your home or on your property that is built for residential use?

Home-Sharing may not occur in a vehicle parked on the property, storage shed, trailer, temporary structure or other structure not built for residential use.


Have you verified that there are no open code violations associated with the property and/or unit?

The Primary Residence or property cannot have any open or unresolved code violations, including any enforcement citation, order, ticket, or similar notice of violation issued by a City enforcement agency, such as the Department of Building and Safety (LADBS), the Housing and Community Investment Department (HCIDLA), the Police Department (LAPD) and the Fire Department (LAFD). While you should be aware if the property has pending citations, the City will also check this requirement during the registration process.


If you live on a property with two or more units, have you verified that your unit is not subject to the Rent Stabilization Ordinance (RSO)?

Your property cannot be subject to the Rent Stabilization Ordinance (RSO). Generally, the RSO applies to most units built before October 1978 located on a property with two or more units. Temporary exemptions, such as for owner-occupancy, do not relieve a residence from being subject to the RSO. For information on whether a property is subject to the RSO, you may text "RSO" to to 1-855-880-7368. Learn more about the Rent Stabilization Ordinance on HCIDLA's website at https://hcidla.lacity.org/Is-My-Rental-Unit-Subject-to-the-RSO.


Have you verified that your property is not subject to other affordability restrictions?

You cannot engage in Home-Sharing if your property is restricted affordable or designated as an Ellis Act property, meaning that the building has been converted from units subject to the Rent Stabilization Ordinance (RSO) to single-family home(s) within five years of the date of conversion. Contact HCIDLA at (866) 557-7368 for more information.


If you are a renter (i.e. tenant), do you have written approval from your landlord to participate in Home-Sharing?

If you are a renter or lessee, you must obtain an affidavit that has been signed by both you and the property owner/landlord that approves your participation in Home-Sharing (Affidavit form available here).