Development Services

All visitors must wear protective face coverings while interacting with City Planning personnel

Project applications begin at the public counter of Los Angeles City Planning’s Development Services Centers (DSCs). Residents and business owners can visit three locations (Metro/Downtown Los Angeles, Valley, and West Los Angeles) to receive technical planning guidance during the design, entitlement, and permitting stages of a project.

The "deep counter" at Metro DSC offers consultation and specialized services that extend beyond the traditional public counter operations at the other DSCs. The deep counter’s services are tailored to the needs of specific industries.

Important Notice Regarding Coronavirus (COVID-19)

City Planning has modified Development Services Center (DSC) operations to help protect the public and our employees who serve you. Consistent with Mayor Garcetti’s directives to help slow the spread of COVID-19 while continuing to deliver important City services, City Planning is minimizing in-person interaction throughout its offices.

The public counters at our DSCs are still open. However, our operations have been modified to minimize in-person contact and promote proper physical distancing. No in-person appointments will be scheduled at this time for the DSC public counters. However, you may schedule a telephone or video conference appointment with DSC staff, and you may make an appointment to review or retrieve records, including California Environmental Quality Act documents, in person if an alternate means of review or retrieval is not available. Additionally, City Planning has established in-person drop off areas at all three DSCs with physical boxes for applicants to drop off plans and applications. The in-person drop off areas are available during regular business hours and are located in a secured, monitored location outside the DSCs. This will allow applicants to file project applications and provide plans without visiting the public counter or needing an initial filing appointment. City Planning personnel will continue to be available to the public by telephone and email.

Applicants will be contacted by City Planning personnel to receive technical guidance on the planning process during the design, entitlement, and permitting stages of a project. Small business owners and residents can find more information about proposed land use regulations on City Planning's website.

Notice to Land Use Industry Professionals

If you are compensated to interact with the Department of Planning, City law may require you to register as a lobbyist and report your activity. Any individual may qualify as a lobbyist, regardless of occupation, education, training, or professional title. A lobbyist may hold a position that includes but is not limited to attorney, CEO, consultant, government liaison, business owner, permit applicant, urban planners, expediters, land developers, various real estate specialists and others.

More information is available online through the Ethics Commission’s lobbying program and publication pages. For assistance, please contact the Ethics Commission.

Scroll down to learn more about the services offered at the DSCs.


  • hours

  • appointment


Public Counter

Zoning Information
Prior to applying for any land use permits or entitlements, applicants are encouraged to consult with planning staff at the public counter to verify zoning regulations and planning approvals.

Case Filings for Entitlements or Administrative Approvals
Project applications for entitlements and administrative approvals are filed at the public counter. Planning staff is available to assist applicants with processing these applications.

Case Condition Approvals
Once entitlements have been granted, planners sign off on project conditions of approval at the public counter. The next step is applying for a building permit.

Permit Clearances
Planners review building permit sign-off requests at the public counter. Before construction can begin, the review determines whether the necessary planning entitlements have been approved and the required conditions of approval cleared.

Filing of Appeals
Please refer to the Updated Appeal Filing Procedures information available here.

Coastal Exemptions
The public counter also processes coastal exemptions for administrative approvals. These exemptions are for projects that have minimal or no impact to coastal resources.

Deep Counter

Note: The following services are offered at the Metro DSC.

Housing Services
Housing Services offers specialized, technical assistance for a number of affordable housing projects, processing the necessary entitlements and clearing the conditions of approval. The work of Housing Services is part of a larger effort to advance an equitable mix of housing opportunities in Los Angeles. Click here for more information.

Home-Sharing takes in, reviews, and approves applications relating to the short-term rental of a primary residence. Click here to learn more about the program.

Wireless and Telecommunications
Wireless and Telecommunications reviews zoning regulations and condition clearances for the placement of wireless telecommunications facilities on public and private property. For general wireless and telecommunications inquiries, please email

All requests for administrative and building permit clearances should be submitted through the online application portal under "Wireless Telecommunications Facilities".

Map Processing
Map Processing facilitates private street dedications and lot line adjustments, offering general consultation and case filing instructions for applicants seeking guidance on project applications not subject to the State Subdivision Map Act’s standard guidelines for review.

Beverage & Entertainment Streamlined (BESt)
The BESt Program handles the initial case intake services and project sign-off for stand-alone alcohol sales (CUB) and entertainment (CUX) entitlements, standardizing the types of conditions imposed citywide on the restaurant and hospitality industries to establish consistency. In order to streamline procedures and improve processing times, the Pre-Application Review requirement has been suspended. Applicants with Conditional Use Beverage requests may now submit applications directly to the BESt unit. Projects will continue to receive the same level of thorough review but in fewer steps for the applicant. Please use the City Planning Application form, the City Planning Application Filing Instructions, and the Special Instructions for Alcohol (CUB) and Adult Entertainment Establishments (CUX) form for filing. Please Note: We are no longer accepting checks for the filing fees, once staff receives your application, online payment will be required. BESt unit staff can be reached at

Monitoring, Verification and Inspection Program (MViP) for CUB/CUX Entitlements
The sale and dispensing of alcoholic beverages, dance halls, and entertainment uses are subject to conditions of approval. Under the Monitoring, Verification and Inspection Program (MViP), all stand-alone alcohol sales (CUB) and entertainment (CUX) entitlements are reviewed for compliance with conditions of approval. This condition clearance process must be completed to effectuate the entitlement prior to the start of utilizing the grant. In addition, building permits associated with CUB and CUX entitlements are reviewed for compliance with the conditions of approval. Following the start of operations, the Department of Building and Safety will periodically inspect operations and enforce ongoing compliance with conditions of approval.

All requests for condition clearance/effectuation and building permit clearances should be submitted through the online application system (OAS) portal under "Alcoholic Beverage and/or Entertainment."

Preliminary Application Review Program (PARP)
PARP provides guidance and technical assistance for qualified housing development projects primarily through the processing of SB330/Housing Crisis Act (HCA) Preliminary Applications and facilitating Building and Safety’s preliminary zoning assessment review and City Planning’s entitlement review of housing development projects. Click here to learn more about the program.

Redevelopment Project Area (RPA)
Each Redevelopment Project Area has a unique set of land use restrictions designed specifically to enhance the quality of life for the community. Development projects located within Redevelopment Project Areas are reviewed for compliance to the Redevelopment Plans. All requests for administrative and building permit clearances should be submitted through the online application portal under "Redevelopment Project Area (RPA)".

Records Management

The Records Management Division maintains records for the Department. At Records Management, you can review case files in hard copy, or on microfilm and/or microfiche, view Sanborn maps, review California Environmental Quality Act (CEQA) documents, receive information on case file locations, and obtain copies of records.

Case Management

In partnership with the Department of Building and Safety, City Planning offers Development Services Case Management (DSCM): the main portal for consultation, assistance, and troubleshooting for complex development projects requiring interdepartmental approvals. The office brings together case managers from various city departments, including City Planning, Building and Safety, Engineering, Transportation, and Water and Power.

Consult the DSCM Services Matrix to determine project eligibility requirements.

DSCM Service Request Form